The history of Stonehill Communities can be traced back to 1878, when our founders, the Sisters of St. Francis, arrived in Dubuque, Iowa. Prior to opening Stonehill Communities, the Sisters of St. Francis operated an orphanage and home for the aging.
Thanks in large part to philanthropist George Banworth, Stonehill Communities Health Center opens as 214-bed licensed skilled-nursing facility.
The Stonehill Benevolent Foundation is created to assist with raising funds and advancing philanthropy on behalf of Stonehill.
The Stonehill campus expands with the addition of its Independent Living apartment complex, Assisi Village.
Stonehill adds Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, therapy services, and Assisted-Living apartments.
Thanks to the Community Caring for Community Capital Campaign, Stonehill is able to add a four story building, memory care unit, and wellness center.
In partnership with Crescent Community Health Center, the Stonehill campus adds an on-site dental clinic.
With tremendous donor support, Stonehill renovates and dedicates the new San Damiano Chapel.